CAMPING & SKILLS SERIES FOR BOYS
For boys ages: 10-13
A unique chance to deepen your skills with some of our most experienced instructors.
We truly tend the fire as we focus on skills that build our competency in the wilderness. These weekend trips aimed at deepening connection with the land and each other. Exploring a variety of California ecosystems, the flora & fauna and ecology will be our teachers. We take our tracking and naturalist skills to new habitats developing self-awareness and self-confidence. The skills learned at each camp out build upon each other and are ideally experienced as a series, but are available by camp as well. We start with increasing our competency with knives from knife safety to carving techniques. Of course we also leave time for some awesome scout games, star gazing and stories around the fire.
Vilda's well-loved Spencer Nielsen and Ramsey Demeter (from fellow wilderness school 4EEE in Grass Valley) will take turns leading these trips.
In addition to our core curriculum, these camps may include a focus on:
- Wild Edible & Medical Plant ID & Use
- Kayak Camping on Tomales Bay
- Solo Time & Opportunity for Artistic Expression
- Peacemaker Principles
- Non-Violent Communication
- Way of Council
- Scout Games & Practices
- Nature Awareness Skills
- Animal Tracking & Bird Language
- Fire by Friction & Fire Tending
- Orienteerings with Map & Compass
- Aid-less Navigation & "Lost-Proofing"
- Backpacking Skills: Tarp Use, Knots, Backcountry Cooking
- Wilderness Safety & "Leave No Trace" Ethics
April Camping at the Farm:
Friday, April 27th, 4pm to Saturday, April 28th, 4pm
Rate A: $350
Rate B: $299
Rate C: $250
Location: Tara Firma Farms, Petaluma
Additional trips coming later in the year